Friday, February 3, 2012

Chandelier

Early 19th century French cut-glass and ormolu chandelier in the Green Room of the White House.


I   want a chandelier for my dining room for quite a while. Not only have me my daughter loved chandelier so much that she insisted to stop our car to buy one at the roadside open shops of the vendors.  It was one of those things on my house deco wish-list that I wanted to cross off   during our market strolling at Delhi. I had so many chances to find one even at the  HK market but I always passed them up.


An antique chandelier with candles in Amsterdam's Portuguese Synagogue.





 A couple weeks back there was a festival in my little town in the market.  I was so thrilled that my little town was having one and they hanged it in an old library.  After the function I walked around the electricity shops not really expecting to find anything and then I saw some beautiful chandeliers in a shop.  One was so beautiful in gold and had crystals dangling from it and looked old.   I really wanted that.  So I asked the seller what her price was.  Rs 2000 /-was too steep for me.  So I walked.
About 15 minutes later, I told my friend I was thinking about just asking the salesman if he would take a lower price, which I normally would at local market.  But, I had a little purse   with pockets and only had Rs500 in it. I didn't want to low ball the salesman.  But my friend insisted that I at least ask.  I can't believe I didn't listen to my own advice, "If you don't ask you'll never know."  But with encouragement I went and asked if the salesman would take the money I had in my pocket.  He literally yelled, "Can you please bring me this in that price i will purchase 500 pieces from you?"   My negotiating skills in spicy language end there. I was so ashamed and proceed toward my house. An am here in front of computer writing a post.      


Happy day!





No comments:

Post a Comment