Friday, January 4, 2013

I wish you all a very happy New Year 2013!



Happy New Year!!

!Today marks the New Year according to the Hindu calender, the ‘Vikram Samvat’ and the year that begins is V.S.2070. The new year falls on the first day of the waxing moon of the month of ‘Chaitra’ Chaitra (is a month of the Hindu calendar.In the standard Hindu calendar and India's national civil calendar, Chaitra is the first month of the year. It is the last month in the Bengali calendar, where it is called Choitro. Chaitra or Chait is also the last month in the Nepali calendar (the Vikram Samvat), where it commences in mid-March. Chithirai is the first month in the Tamil calendar. In the Vaishnava calendar,Vishnu governs this month.
In the more traditional reckoning, the first month commences in March or April of the Gregorian Calendar,[1][2] depending upon whether the Purushottam Maas (extra month for alignment of lunar or solar calender) was observed in the year. There is no fixed date in Gregorian calendar for 1st day of Chaitra, i.e., the beginning of the Hindu New Year).
This day also marks the first day of the ‘Navratri’ or nine days during which goddess Durga is worshipped. The ninth day or the Navmi is also the birthday of  Lord Ram hence the day is called Ram-navmi. So the new years brings a whole lot of festivities along.
In Haryana, the first   day of the new year, is celebrated with pump and shoe . This day is celebrated by the women- folk   in their own ways and is by far one of the most colorful festivals. The women pray to goddess Parvati, the consort of  Lord Shiva and the feminine power of the world (goddess Durga is the warrior incarnate of Parvati to slay the demons and restore balance to the world).

hindu calander

 

My resolutions on the New year


As a rule, I never make New Year resolutions for the simple reason that I know for a fact that I am unlikely to stick to them... All I allow myself to do instead is to make a "To do" list with the hope to tick at least a few items off that list before the new year is over... (No promises that I won't be able to keep, just a few things I would like to achieve).

• Finish my WIPs, or at least finish one BEFORE starting a new project. I have currently 6 ufo's : two vintage knits and one crochet ripple blanket.

• Eat healthily and take some exercise to shed my wast waistline... (This might mean more time spent in the kitchen!)

• Have a go at sewing cushions and dresses for myself (can only be done if the above is achieved).

• Try to use as much from my stash as possible (wool and fabric)

• Have a critical look at my current wardrobe: get rid of the unwearable, recycle or revamp the acceptable. I would love to adopt the "make do and mend" attitude this year.

• Be more creative.

As you can see, this is quite a short list. The hardest might be the "healthy" bit!...


Wishing all a very Happy New Year!!!

xoxo





No comments:

Post a Comment