Sunday, February 16, 2014

its winter here............



While going to park for walk the chilly wind that touched the face sooths me.It is my favourite sort of winter day, and this is saying a great deal, as it is well known that I am not a fan of winter. It is too cold, too damp, too windy (I especially hate the wind. Walking from Ektaa park  the other night I could feel the wind push the cold in through the weaves of my shawl. The wind makes you a thousand times colder. I swear it.) too grey, and too sunless. After a couple of days of this I can feel it pulling the joy right out of me. I'm not depressed; I'm just surrounded by stuff I don't like. I miss my front yard pot- garden.  I miss walks that aren't physically painful. I miss stopping on the street to chat with my neighbors... I miss shopping for fruits and vegetables in the market.   I hate the way your forehead got pained if you go out too soon after washing your hair. I hate the way that leaves scroll on the floor by the front door. I hate worrying about the cleaning. I hate chapped lips (and faces, and hands and legs.) and it totally pisses me off in my entirety that the little chop stick I had in my coat pocket froze and now it's weird and grainy. I really loathe the way that I get cold in November and don't feel warm again until March.
Now it’s cold winter night
So I have a delicious recipe for you. It's a great winter meal....hearty and delicious. All from scratch (the best kind of cooking!). I hope you try it, and I think you will enjoy it!
Ingredients

Bajra
1/3 cup
yellow moong dal
3 tbsp
salt
to taste
ghee
2 tbsp

Method

1. Soak bajra for an hour.
2. Separate the husk from the bajra by grinding coarsely in a mixer at a low speed.
3. Mix moong dal when it becomes completely husk free.
4. Transfer the contents in a pressure cooker with water and salt.
5. Cook the contents for 10 minutes.
6. Add hot water if required.
7. Mix hot ghee to the food.
8. Bajra Khichdi is ready to be served.

No comments:

Post a Comment