Saturday, September 8, 2012

The traditional embriodries……….



kantha embroidery, popular in West Bengal in India, is a form of running stitch used to decorate saris, shirts, shawls, pillows covers, cushion covers, blankets and many other everyday household fabrics across cotton and silk


I learnt about   Kantha when I was in my BSc (HomeScience in clothing and textile class)  and I discovered Sashiko embroidery more than 10 years ago. It was just like kantha and the design resemble very much with my grandmaa’s darning stitches. I bought and read a book on the subject, which described methods for marking the designs on fabric, as well as the stitching technique, but I was never quite ready to actually try it. Over the years, I encountered an article or two on the subject, which I read with interest, but didn't pursue further. Recently  I read and fallowed  to know the details from herehere and  here


My previous posts on kantha are here  and here  have a look!

My inspirational  blog today is THIS BLOG

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment