Tuesday, May 25, 2010

NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF INVENTION

THE IDEA It was very hot in the scorchy heat of May-June. I was at a loss to know what to stitch for my daughter. Anything stitched with new fabric will make rashes on the body. Then I scanned my w-rob and found out the dress, which was once published in “Grah Shobha” the leading Hindi magazine of repute and a big circulation among women in all over India.

My daughter modelling for her dress

THAT …IS.. ABSOLUTELY RECYCLED MATERIALS

I used only this dress for the new one. The shift dress was made with dark blue and white poplin material and the skirt was coarser khadi cotton material. Both materials were a little bit faded as per the nature of cotton fabric. I used the upper shirt for the bodice section of the dress, and undid the top edge of the skirt removed the threaded elastic, so I have a lacy petticoat for the dress.


See both the dresses

NEW MATERIALS I used a new thread, because I am fussy about my thread. I only use good quality thread, because I want to make sure my sewing stays together as long as the garment does. If the thread gives up, the garment becomes too hard to look after over time as random seams pop, usually in hard to repair areas, and becomes landfill quicker. In this case, I used an industrial thread, because I was sewing with my industrial machine. Domestic thread doesn't go so well when sewing at super high speed, because it heats up and snaps. Not that I was going fast, but I kept my threads for each machine nearby, and in fact this one was already on the machine. True confession time, it's white, because I'm lazy about rethreading. Some of the basting showed a little at the end, so I pulled those stitches out. I actually don't get too concerned about perfect colour matching, unless it is on the outside of the garment. It's surprising what you can get away with. In fact, an African designer working in Paris in the early 90's made it his signature to sew everything together with red over locking. Apparently he got a good deal on a big box of leftover thread when he was starting out, and turned necessity into a statement.



collage of work

METHOD

I undid the hem of the shirt/blouse, and iron its creases. cut short the sleeves Undid the seams of sleeves and side seam of the shirt, to have some room to make the size a little bit larger at armholes, stitch taking little seam allowance from length of sleeve through underarm to waist. Hem the sleeves at openings.

I undid the elastic hem and the bottom hem of the skirt, threw away the elastic, ironed the creases that were made, I also undid the bottom hem and folded it to minimum to increase the length of the dress.

After all the destruction you can say and ironing, side seams I attached the skirt to the shirt/blouse to make it a larger dress for my daughter.

feel good...postures...
See in the picture colour is faded, but still the fabric is soothing to wear at night and home.
interpret, incorporate or copy the idea, economize on your ward robe!
Have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment