My Handcrafted Storage Transformation: A Dust-Free Fabric Cover for an Old Metal Rack
We all have utilitarian furniture at home that serves a great purpose but isn't always pleasing to look at. That was precisely the case with my heavy-duty metal shelving unit with 5 shelves in it.
Originally, it was a tall 5-tier rack. Years ago, I had to cut down its top portion so that it could fit neatly under the beam shelf in my storeroom. After serving faithfully for several years, holding books and various household items, I decided it was time to give it a much-needed makeover—and more importantly, keep all stored items completely dust-free!
 |
| The original metal rack—functional and sturdy, but open to dust and clutter. |
Then several years of service, I decided to make its cover with fabric to keep my items dust free.
For that had to remount its upper part first. I simply attach them together using cord and tie them stitching through the holes on them. This cover has cords for opening and closing. Cords make opening and closing the cover easy, and corner straps hold up the flaps when I need access my items
The Remounting & Prepping Process
Before making the cover, I needed to restore the upper section. To reconnect the pieces, I used a practical approach: I simply threaded sturdy cords through the pre-drilled holes of the metal frame, stitching and tying them securely together.
 |
| From cutting it down to fit under the storage space, to remounting and prepping—the step-by-step transformation begins! |
Designing the Custom Fabric Cover
To craft the enclosure, I picked a vibrant floral fabric that instantly brightens up the room. I wanted the cover to be both aesthetically pleasing and functional:
Drawstring Openings: For the upper four shelves, I designed unique circular drawstring openings. Pulling the cords makes opening and closing the flaps effortless.
 |
| The complete transformation! A vibrant floral cover with custom drawstring openings to keep everything dust-free. |
Dedicated Lower Shelf: The bottom shelf, reserved for my sacred books, features a two-flap opening fastened with grommets and cords.
Corner Straps: To make accessing stored items hassle-free, I added corner straps that neatly hold up the fabric flaps whenever needed.
 |
| Front view showing the unique circular drawstring closures for the top shelves and grommet flap for the sacred books below. |
 |
| Close-up of the neatly stitched fabric and side profile. |
 |
| A closer look at the top section featuring the decorative gather and braided cord attachment. |
 |
| Handcrafted detail: The circular drawstring design that makes opening and closing the flaps effortless and stylish. |
Final Thoughts
Whether accessing items inside or admiring it from the outside, I absolutely love the convenience and beauty of this new cover. It keeps everything clean, organized, and protected from dust.
Handmade, budget-friendly, and practical—it is a wonderful reminder of how a little creativity can transform something ordinary into a charming functional piece!
Hand Made …..I think I am creative!
What do you think of this DIY makeover? I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!
xo
No comments:
Post a Comment