Sunday, April 22, 2012

Preserving Haryanvi Roots: Reviving Traditional Elegance with Handmade Details


Being a Jat from  Haryana  ,my deep-rooted journey to preserve the rich folk traditions of my ancestors has influenced every part of my daily life. Over time, I have found myself embracing a more traditional approach—whether in our home decor, daily meals, or the clothes I wear. I feel a strong connection to the timeless lifestyle of my grandmother and great-grandmother.

To honor that authentic, traditional rural Haryanvi grace, I recently restored one of my old Shalwar kameez  suits. I attached a delicate, fine lace edging to the Dupattato recreate that classic vintage look.

अपनी हरियाणवी परंपरा को सहेजने का एक प्रयास: दुपट्टे पर गोटा और क्रोशिया की कला

हरियाणा से संबंध रखने के कारण, अपनी लोक परंपराओं और जड़ों को सहेजने की इस यात्रा ने मेरे जीवन को गहराई से प्रभावित किया है। अपनी दादी और परदादी के समय की सादगी को अपने जीवन में उतारते हुए, मैंने खान-पान, घर की सजावट और पहनावे में अपनी पारंपरिक हरियाणवी शैली को और करीब से अपनाया है।

ग्रामीण हरियाणवी महिलाओं की उस वास्तविक और सादगीभरी सुंदरता को सहेजने के लिए, मैंने हाल ही में अपने एक पुराने सलवार-कमीज के दुपट्टे के किनारों पर बारीक सुंदर लेस (गोटा) लगाकर उसे नया रूप दिया।

आने वाले दिनों में, मैं अपनी माताजी की पारंपरिक ओढ़नियों के किनारों पर क्रोशिया से सुंदर डिजाइन तैयार करने की योजना बना रही हूँ। हस्तकला के माध्यम से अपनी संस्कृति को जीवंत रखने का यह एक छोटा सा प्रयास है।



Adding fine lace detailing to an old peach Dupatta to give it a classic, traditional touch.



Close up of lace on Dupattaa.

Moving forward, I plan to craft some beautiful crochet edgings for my mother’s traditional Odhanis (the traditional head covering/scarf worn by Haryanvi women). Restoring these pieces by hand is more than just a craft—it is a modest homage to our rich cultural heritage.
Staying connected to our cultural roots through traditional handcrafts brings a unique sense of joy. I will be sharing the final crochet patterns on my mother's odhani very soon. Looking forward to your thoughts.

क्या आपके पास भी आपकी दादी या नानी के समय की कोई ऐसी पोशाक या याद है, जिसे आपने आज भी संभालकर रखा है या नया रूप दिया है? मुझे कमेंट सेक्शन में आपके अनुभव और विचार पढ़कर बहुत खुशी होगी।



XO!

1 comment:

  1. Muito obrigada psela menção ao meu blog...
    um grande abraço de Maria Filomena

    do Filomena Crochet ...blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete