Sunday, January 4, 2026

To My Dearest Rehana: When Pictures Speak and Golden Fields Come Alive

From Van Gogh to 'The Little Prince': When Art Became the Language of Memories

 

My granddaughter Rehana is currently enjoying her summer vacations, and she has just returned home after having a wonderful time at her maternal grandparents' house. Today, as I was working on my computer, she walked up to me and lovingly said, "Maa, please show me those childhood pictures of mine that you have preserved." That was it! We sat together, browsing through countless beautiful photographs, one after the other, and I found myself drifting into a beautiful world of nostalgia.

Every single picture began to tell its own story—recalling when and where it was captured. I remembered how her friends would come over to play with toys, how she would accompany me during my research visits to slum areas for data collection, and those peaceful afternoons in the park where she would play while I sat close by, crocheting under the warm sun. When she was little, I spent hours crafting intricate necklaces, earrings, and various other delicate items with crochet—creative work that could only be done in sufficient daylight. Countless such memories flashed before my eyes.

Now, Rehana has turned 12 years old. Looking at all these captures, I felt a strong desire to write something about these priceless moments. In particular, seeing the pictures of her laughing and wandering amidst the golden wheat fields

Its me trying my hand in harvesting at CCSHAU FARM.



Rehana in Wheat field


Rehana in wheat field


 two profound thoughts from art and literature resonated deeply within me.

The first is a beautiful quote by the legendary artist Vincent Van Gogh. 

"The wheat field has... poetry; it is like a memory of something one has once seen. We can only make our pictures speak."

And looking at these photographs of yours, I truly feel that they speak. They narrate a timeless story of pure innocence, nature, and boundless love.

Along with this, the golden fields reminded me of a beautiful dialogue from one of the most beloved books in the world, 'The Little Prince' by the French author Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, which I had noted down a very long time ago. In the story, the fox says to the prince:

"The wheat fields have nothing to say to me. And that is sad. But you have hair that is the color of gold. Think how wonderful that will be when you have tamed me! The grain, which is also golden, will bring me back the thought of you. And I shall love to listen to the wind in the wheat..."

Vencent Van Gogh
My dear Rehana, when I first read these lines years ago, their deeper philosophical meaning hadn't fully sunk in. But today, as I look at these photographs and reminisce about your childhood, the true essence of both the artist's and the writer's words has become crystal clear to me.

Fields are merely pieces of land, but the very moment your laughter and presence became intertwined with them, those fields turned into pure poetry and an everlasting golden memory for me. Even today, when I use dried wheat stalks to decorate our home, they instantly fill my surroundings with the essence of your childhood and those beautiful moments we shared.

My deco piece using wheat stacks


This is the most beautiful truth of life, my child—things in this world remain ordinary and detached until we connect our hearts to them. Once a bond of love is formed, art, nature, and even the simplest stalks of wheat turn magical, coming alive with memories. You are growing up so fast, but for me, your smile will always remain as bright as these golden fields, forever singing the exquisite poetry of our beautiful bond. 🌾

MY inspiral blog today.....
My Simferopol Home: Pressje!: Hot off the Pressje! The latest edition of the Krakow-based magazine has published a gorgeous full-color spread of the No Other Home photog...

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment