Hello everyone, and welcome back to my creative corner!
Today, I am opening up my old shoe box—the one
still overflowing with physical, vintage photographs waiting to be scanned and
preserved. As I sifted through them, I found this precious picture of my
daughter. Looking at it brought back a rush of beautiful memories, including a
major milestone in my creative journey: my very first published article!
Back in 1987, I faced a minor household disaster
that I managed to turn into an absolute triumph. This very dress was featured
on Page #110 of the July 1988 issue of the "Manorama" Hindi
magazine. It was published under their regular column, "Chinta Kis
Baat Ki?" (Why Worry?), where readers shared clever household hacks
and solutions.
Here is the story of how a ruined outfit became a
lesson in intelligent upcycling.
| My daughter wearing the reversible uniform-to-casual dress outfit featured in Manorama Magazine, July 1988.Please ignore the white ugly spots on the skirt.......No....NNNOOOOOOOO..these were not on the skirt.......these are of old......... .somehow..................... forgotten box of old photographs stacked in shoe-box..........forgotten........ uncured............. |
The Accident: A Burnt Kameez
It all started when I was ironing my favorite Shalwar
Kameez suit. In a moment of distraction, the iron overheated and left
prominent burning spots right on the fabric. The outfit seemed ruined and
destined for the junk pile.
However, looking at the fabric, I realized that
only certain sections were damaged. The rest of the printed material was perfectly
intact. I decided to salvage the good parts of the shirt and mold them into
something entirely new for my growing daughter.
The Innovation: The Reversible Uniform Skirt &
Blouson Top
Children grow out of clothes incredibly fast,
making durable school uniforms a short-term investment. I decided to combine
the salvaged fabric with her existing navy blue school uniform skirt to create
a dual-purpose outfit.
·
The Top: I
transformed the undamaged fabric of my kameez into a trendy,
short-sleeved blouson-style top for her, featuring a comfortable smocked,
elasticated waist.
·
The Smart Skirt: To pair with the top, I took her navy blue school uniform skirt and
added a 2-inch wide strap of the salvaged printed fabric along the
bottom hem.
·
Hiding the Seams: I applied matching bias binding on the side seams. This beautifully
tied the skirt to the top and seamlessly hid the structural stitching.
The Ultimate Hack: The skirt served dual functions!
Worn normally, it functioned perfectly as her everyday school uniform. But when
flipped inside out to the reverse side, it transformed into a lovely, casual
outfit to wear with her new top.
Intelligent Use of "Junk"
Isn't it amazing how something heading straight for
the trash bin can be reimagined into something so functional? Upcycling is more
than just a trend; it is a smart way to extend the lifespan of durable fabrics,
especially for growing children.
This photo from 1988 is a testament to the fact
that with a little creativity, a sewing machine, and a "Why Worry?"
attitude, every mistake can be turned into a masterpiece.
here is my USHA JANOME with several features........
![]() |
| MY JANOME |
![]() |
| THE COVER |
Every man’s memory is his private literature.
--------------Aldous Huxley
Happy sewing!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment