Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Crafting, Community Workshops, and Handmade Dreamcatchers

It's Navratri time, and the weather today is much cooler than over the past few days. Around 2:30 PM, a thunderstorm brought some welcome rain to nearby areas, bringing down the temperature here as well.

I spent this pleasant afternoon doing what I love most—crafting!

Empowering Through Craft Workshops Lately, I have been busy conducting workshops and community sessions:

  • Rag Rug Making: I taught the girls at the center how to craft useful rag rugs using waste materials.

  • Tailoring & Sewing Supervision: I visited the sewing class at our center for supervision. Around 24 girls have registered for the sewing and tailoring program. My goal is to gradually encourage them to dedicate at least one day a week to creative craft activities.

  • Community Outreach: I have started a small craft group in the slum area (Dhakk Basti). Recently, the Shiv Nagar local community center also approached me to launch a similar group. I am currently working out the logistics, especially ensuring we can generate funds to pay the craft teacher.

  • Best Out of Waste: I continue to give live demonstrations on the theme "Best Out of Waste" across all centers of our NGO.

Crafting Handmade Dreamcatchers

Today, I worked on making dreamcatchers using materials I already had at home.

My niece immediately claimed the second one for herself—the one still under construction, rich with colorful threads and frills! It gave me a sweet moment to remind her to pray and trust in God for good sleep, telling her that the real peace comes from simple faith rather than feathers or handmade trinkets. Children’s prayers are so pure and uncomplicated.



Handcrafted dark-themed dreamcatcher made with recycled yarn and colorful beads.


 A colorful collection of handmade dreamcatchers displayed together on the wall.





Close up of vibrant dream catcher
Delicately hand-crocheted pink dreamcatcher crafted from leftover yarn.


Detailed view of the intricate hand-woven web structure and bead accents.




Vibrant dreamcatcher featuring a crocheted center, colorful threads, and long tassel frills.


My very first attempt at weaving a dreamcatcher took hours to figure out, but I am really happy with how all of them turned out. Most importantly, my niece thinks they are awesome!

Creativity is not just about making new things; it is the art of finding beauty and purpose in what seems ordinary or discarded. When we create with our hands and share those skills with others, we spark meaningful change in our communities. I hope this small effort inspires you to transform leftover materials into something lovely and encourage those around you. Keep creating, and do share your own craft journeys with me!




No comments:

Post a Comment