Friday, July 24, 2026

Why I Still Use This Traditional Method Before Making Multigrain Flour

 

Some kitchen traditions never grow old.

For many years, I have been following the same simple method to prepare soybeans before getting my homemade multigrain flour milled. Even today, despite having modern kitchen appliances, I still prefer this traditional technique because I believe it makes the soybeans cleaner, easier to digest, and better suited for everyday use.



Freshly washed soybeans drying naturally in the sun.

  • Jowar drying alongside the soybeans on a sunny afternoon.


  • The process begins by washing the soybeans thoroughly and spreading them out in the sun until they are completely dry.

    Once dry, I pulse them gently in a mixer grinder—not to make flour, but just enough to loosen their outer skins.

    Then comes my favourite part.



    Separating soybean husks using a traditional bamboo winnowing tray (Chhaj)—a simple technique passed down through generations.


    I transfer the soybeans into a traditional bamboo winnowing tray, known as a Chhaj. With gentle movements of the tray, the lighter husks separate from the heavier beans. It is a simple technique that has been passed down through generations and still works beautifully today.

    The cleaned soybeans are then mixed with wheat, jowar (sorghum), barley, gram, or other grains before being taken to the flour mill for making our family's multigrain flour.



    Soybean husks separated after light grinding.


    The separated husks are never wasted. They can be fed to cattle, making this an eco-friendly and sustainable practice.

    Many people ask me why I continue using this traditional method when machines can do much of the work. My answer is simple: some traditional practices have stood the test of time because they are practical, economical, and effective. They also keep us connected to the wisdom of earlier generations.

    This is one such tradition that continues to be a part of my kitchen even today, and I hope it remains alive for many years to come.

    Do you still follow any traditional kitchen practices in your home? I'd love to hear about them in the comments!

    XO

    No comments:

    Post a Comment