Monday, April 28, 2014

Reviving Lost Traditions: The Haryanvi Tapestry Crochet Bag


When I first stumbled upon a tapestry crochet bag online back in 2006, it immediately took me down memory lane. That inspiring piece was made by Dr. Carol Ventura (Professor Emerita at Tennessee Technological University), and seeing it instantly reminded me of my roots. Growing up in a village in Haryana, I remember how young girls used to craft these beautiful bags as a part of their dowry. Sadly, it’s a tradition that has vanished from our daily lives.


tapestry crochet bag























tapestry crochet bags


 Recently, when I accompanied 
my daughter
to Kurukshetra  for her story recital, we visited the Dharohar Museum. There, amidst many traditional artifacts, I saw these familiar bags again. I know this beautiful craft has lost its momentum over the years, which is why it is now preserved in a museum. But seeing them filled me with a strong hope for their revival.
Our Haryanavi traditions deserve to be celebrated with more color! Inspired by this visit, I have decided to make one myself this year. I plan to use colorful, raw spun cotton yarn to create a bag featuring traditional animal motifs.


xoxo




 


No comments:

Post a Comment