Thursday, August 23, 2012

Where is the Sun on a Cloudy Day? Finding Hope Beyond Overcast Skies


I was sitting in my front yard during the harsh and humid month of Bhado in Haryana. Just a day earlier, we had experienced a few unusual, bright days in the middle of the typical monsoon heat and heavy cloud cover.

As I walked around the corner where the sun had previously reflected on the park's stagnant water and beamed through the trees, just the day before, the only thing that could now be seen was the cloudy grey sky that comes with a normal monsoon day. 

With a touch of disappointment, I whispered, “Oh, Mr. Sun, where did you go? Why did you leave us so soon? I needed you to stay just a little longer so I could focus on you for a few seconds. My eyes are tired and need some Trāṭaka exercise.”



The cloudy Bhado sky over Haryana, breaking the brief stretch of sunshine.

No sooner had I spoken those words than I felt a moment of deep conviction. The contrast in the scenery mirrored where my own thoughts had recently drifted.

Much like those sunshine-filled days, I had just passed through a wonderful season— the kind of season where we have the privilege of seeing God’s light shine bright and pushing through the darkness, beaming between the trees. It had been a season of renewal, refreshment, and restoration. It had been a season when dreams that would have appeared to have been dead or lost were now being given new life and shape.


Monsoon foliage in the yard, holding memories of brighter days.



Standing in the warmth of that season, I dared to dream bigger. I grabbed a notepad and pen, inviting divine guidance to shape a vision for the future. Glimpses of new possibilities began to unfold, later confirmed by unexpected calls. Big dreams often stretch us to our limits, keeping us humble and reliant on faith so that when they come true, the purpose is clear.



So there I was, with a fast beating heart in the middle of the excitement of what God was showing me glimpses of, along with my quickly bending and trembling knees. There isn't such an accelerating feeling like when God gives us a vision that is quickly followed by confirmation. I honestly don't know if my heart could handle those moments on an ongoing basis. I think I would quickly go from writing down God size dreams to standing in His presence if you know what I mean. Maybe that is why God’s glory and His dreams for us are revealed to us in glimpses so that we can live through them and fulfill His purpose.

 

Sweet friend, He wants to tend your heart too. If you find yourself in the midst of a cloudy day like I did in that season, let me encourage you. We must remember, just because the sun doesn’t shine, it doesn't mean that it's not there. Just because we can’t feel the warmth of its sunshine, it doesn't mean that it’s purpose is not being accomplished…even in the midst of those cloudy gray and overcast days. The sun is always there and it will shine again. It really will. Until then, let’s keep holding on to God’s promise; the promise that God never forgets about us or the dreams He has for us. The promise is that if we seek Him we will find Him, when we seek Him with all our heart…ALL of it!

Have you sought after Him today?

 

A cozy indoor corner holding personal keepsakes and everyday details.


A traditional Sitar resting indoors, adding a musical soul to the space.

Life Snippets & Moving Forward

Where do the days go? It feels like weeks have passed since returning from Delhi. The recent days have been a blur of rain, daily work, coffee breaks, and the endless talk of moving house.


A simple cane stool resting in the living room.

Sunlight filtering through the iron grill door into the room.


Well, it was a good job I didn't hold my breath when it seemed like something might happen with the house the other day. Unsurprisingly, nothing happened at all.
So let's put all that aside for a little while and talk about snippets here.

It is a good thing I didn't hold my breath about the house transition just yet. Things take their own time, so for now, let's set that aside and focus on these small, meaningful moments.

----

Today's inspiration 

 


XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment