Monday, March 25, 2019

holi Bhagwad Geeta

Lord Krishna the chariot and Arjun


The Bhagavad-gita is the world’s oldest book of wisdom. The ‘As It Is’ edition, now forty years old, translated from the original Sanskrit with clear and straightforward commentary by the great scholar and saints, and, deserves a place on every bookshelf in every home. More importantly, it deserves to be read daily before breakfast, its verses discussed by thoughtful people, and its meaning put into practice by those who wish to see good in this world.
 
Mahatma Gandhi, the father of the nation of India, read the Gita during spells in prison and when in seclusion. He said that when he no longer saw a silver lining on the dark cloud in his life he would pick up his Gita and read words of comfort. English explorers and foreign scholars have all marvelled at the Gita – that so much deep philosophy could be placed in one book.


वेपथुश्च शरीरे मे रोमहर्षश्च जायते || 29||
गाण्डीवं स्रंसते हस्तात्वक्चै व परिदह्यते |
न च शक्नोम्यवस्थातुं भ्रमतीव च मे मन: || 30|| 
निमित्तानि च पश्यामि विपरीतानि केशव |
न च श्रेयोऽनुपश्यामि हत्वा स्वजनमाहवे || 31||



1.29-31:
My whole body shudders; my hair is standing on end. My bow, the Gāṇḍīv, is slipping from my hand, and my skin is burning all over. My mind is in quandary and whirling in confusion; I am unable to hold myself steady any longer. O Krishna, killer of the Keshi demon, I only see omens of misfortune. I do not foresee how any good can come from killing my own kinsmen in this battle.


Commentary: As Arjun thought of the consequences of the war, he grew worried and sad. The same Gāṇḍīv bow, the sound of which had terrified powerful enemies, began dropping from his hand. His mind was reeling, thinking it was a sin to wage the war. In this unsteadiness of mind, he even descended to the level of accepting superstitious omens portending disastrous failures and imminent consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment