Saturday, March 8, 2014

beautiful with crochet granny square

We've enjoyed some mild and sunny weather this week and that, combined with the increasingly lighter afternoons, has given the air a deliciously spring-like feel. I'm wary of declaring it spring too late though - do you remember how late spring is this  year? Winter just seemed to go on and on. We have a frequent rainfall  fall right in the middle and end of February , which I wrote about HERE
There is something about March which makes me start tinkering with the house; looking at rooms anew and finding ways to refresh them, or improving corners I don't like, just generally pottering and creating.  OH, this beautiful lovely piece of art lying here folded in a newspaper. Why don’t I use it somewhere else!

Yes I made them

Won’t bore you with the details, but despite my best intentions it has been very difficult to find any time for things to remember of late. Without further ado, here is a little project that I completed last year, which is nice and easy, with practical results.
I made these lovelies for my window behind my computer table last year.
 
After repairing the window and painting it in white in the hope that it might save me having to do it again too soon. It has. The photo above was taken last year, and the curtain have had a little wear till last 2 or 3 months ago. In the picture,   perhaps look a bit saggy round the lower edge. So try and ignore that and look at the crisp clean ones in the image below, ok? Squares As you will have no doubt realized, the good old granny square is the basis for this design. It doesn’t matter which method you use. I haven’t included a granny square pattern, I just make them in rounds and rounds only the last round with black transformed them into squares ,so that they can easily attached with each other to make a big fabric.ok!. Acrylic would be better than cotton or wool for this because it needs to be hardwearing and   stretchy. I used oswal yarn  and a 3.5mm hook.
My some of the in complete granny square is below, placed under the tiny baby’s in the niche.

 

Then came the cleaning time this year and my niece demounted the curtain and after washing put them aside…………….
And yesterday I got them  somewhere on my way of cleaning the cupboard and I made use of it as my chair back cover …and it successfully fitted on my computer table back ...both lengthwise as well as length wise…..no sewing or crochet hook required just 2  tie-up cords      I created new and transformed the curtain into my chair cover see the pick below  
You can vary the size according to the depth that you want the chair back to be, but it probably needs to be at least 15 cm square in order to have enough staying power when you fit it to the back of the chair. Here it is a rectangle piece not sewed from sides.
Once you’ve made one, you will be able to judge how many squares you will need to fit across the front and back of the chair. I made four to fit across one side of the chair, and slip stitched each square to the next as I worked, slip stitching into each of the spaces along the side of the square. Ideally your squares should fit across the front of the chair and overlap the sides slightly, so that you can make the same number of squares for the back and join all them together to fit all the way round the chair. Join all the squares and it will be a rectangle piece of colorful fabric.  If you want it to be quite a snug fit, so make sure that it is pulled taut when you are measuring. My four squares weren’t quite wide enough, so once I had joined them I worked another couple of rows of granny square trebles around the rectangle.  You can then make one long piece for the back of the chair and join it to the first to form a rectangle piece that will fit around the chair:
 Edging when the squares are joined, work an edging along the bottom with a row of granny trebles and ch-1 stitch all around the piece.  

Hang the cover on the chair; make sure the piece is placed symmetrically on the chair. Take a ribbon with beads at the end to secure the cover on the back of the chair.

You can see in the image above that I’ve tied the cover with one cord each from both sides. These cords will be long enough approx. 40cm each and tie beautiful beads at the ends.  The cord may help to stay the cover in place firmly, and to ensure that the ‘back’ is the same length as the ‘front’. You can see a knot at the sides with knots of cord in the image below.

just ignore the blurry pic

 I used two cord/ribbon (tulle here)  to tie the cover to the chair, but in hindsight I think it might be better with an extra one in the middle as well to keep the cover from sagging. Each piece of cord/ribbon measured approx 40cm with a little extra allowed for finishing the raw ends. This was long enough to tie around the bar running along the top of the chair frame, but not so long that the tapes hung down beneath the bottom of the seat. You may need to adjust the length according to your own chair. Measure in from each side of the chair to see where these will be placed, making them far enough in from the edge to avoid the frame of the chair back. Mark the same distance in from each end of the cover. Find the midpoint of each piece of cord/ribbon and tie them to the cover on both sides, so there is an equal amount front and back to tie.

Tie in position and the chair covers are ready.
xoxo
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment