Saturday, October 12, 2019

My mother's house





As a child, I used to hate my mom’s village
Paposa. Like pretty much everything about it, but primarily because the water
tastes different there. And we always went in the sweltering summer, which by
no means made the stay any pleasant. I used to hate the heat in the air their,
the unclean roads, the slower-than-a-snail cart system (yes, it IS faster to
walk than take one of those), the   khatara buses, the uneven roads that don't
move for HOURS...everything!





I don't know when exactly my perception about the village changed, but I
do remember it was because of a day out with my mum. My mum took me out to eat kharbujas
in their fields,   
then to see orchid farm, and then for a walk around the heart of the farm- gobar gas plant, kolhu( jagerry making machine)  a large pond of water, river full with water.








And of course, the one thing synonymous with Haryana - the pink lassi(colloquially
termed as itni gaadhi chaahe chammch khdi kar de).





Traditionally, pink lassi is made by boiling milk in earthen pot
(kadhaavani)until pinkish in colour, and left in an earthen pot(bilauni) to
ferment overnight. The long procedure and earthenware involved in making dahi and then after long hours of churning turned
into pink lassi and butter
are the reasons why it is not commonly made at
every  home. Though that's not the case
in my home. My mother invented this recipe once, and ever
since has had to make it at almost every lunch where she's had our haryanvi
friends over. And it's an easy-peasy for her just 3 minute wonder. Like so
easy, that you'd want to make it every day.




No comments:

Post a Comment